In this tutorial, you will learn the step-by-step approach for hiding unused columns in Tableau Desktop.
- BI Connector Desktop edition should be installed and configured in your PC (where Tableau Desktop is installed). Refer to the install guide.
- You should know how to use BI Connector to create Tableau visualizations for OBIEE data. Refer to the user guide.
The following video provides an overview of the best practices to extract OBIEE data using Tableau.
1. After connecting to OBIEE using BI Connector, select the tables from the subject area into the Join area. At this point, keep the Connection as Extract connection.
2. Select sheet1 and drag the required columns. Click on Data source.
3. In the Data source page, Click the Edit button,
4. Next, Click on Hide All unused Fields and Click OK.
5. Click on sheet1. You will be prompted to save the Extract. Save it.
6. The extract will be created. Depending on your OBIEE data source, the volume of data, number of tables being extracted and the number of columns being extracted, the time is taken to create the extract may take some time. Please be patient since you could be extracted a huge volume of data from OBIEE into your Tableau.
Optionally, you can also refer to and follow the article on How to increase or decrease the maximum number of columns to allow for a query?