In this step-by-step tutorial, we will discuss how you can publish an extract to Tableau Server and configure it for daily automatic incremental refresh.
The key benefit of this approach is that it will allow you to create visualizations faster from OBIEE data and avoid the delay from slow queries that fetch live data from OBIEE.
1. You should have created an extract from OBIEE data using Tableau Desktop. Refer to this step-by-step tutorial.
2. You should have installed and configured BI Connector in the Tableau Server. Refer to this step-by-step tutorial.
Publishing an extract to Tableau Server
After you have created an extract of OBIEE data using Tableau Desktop and BI Connector, follow these steps to publish it to your Tableau server.
1. Sign In to your Tableau Server.
2. Publish the Data Source.
3. Configure the authentication, Refresh Extract etc. in Publish Data Source to Tableau Server UI. Set authentication to Embedded password so that Tableau server will automatically connect to OBIEE data source using the securely saved username and password. Click on Publish.
4. Data source will be published to Tableau Server and you will see this message.
5. Next, publish the Workbook.
6. Configure the publishing parameters including Scheduling & Authentication. Set authentication to embedded as shown below.
7. Click Ok, then Publish. You will see the Publish Workbook Results UI with a Preview of the published worksheet. Depending upon the data size, your network et al, Preview might take a few seconds.
8. You can now login into your Web UI for Tableau Server and view the published workbook.
9. Tableau Web users can utilize the published data source to create their own visualizations quickly and benefit from the high speed visualization capability of Tableau.
BI Connector enables both web users and desktop users to create visualizations of OBIEE data faster and avoid any performance issues in your OBIEE environment. You can use BI Connector with Tableau to provide end users with high performance ultra low latency visualization platform for OBIEE data.